Brian's Reviews > Pattern Recognition

Sep 23, 12

Recommended to Brian by: Michael Economy
Read from September 20 to 23, 2012 — I own a copy

(4.0) For me, more readable and thus more enjoyable than Neuromancer

But I still had the problem with the Gibson style. Just something about it makes it hard to read smoothly. Keep having to go back and re-read sections to decipher things, just to keep the plot straight (is that part of the attraction for some hacker types?).

A few other quibbles. Here there's a little more of the 80s adolescent fascination with Japan, but much less so than I've seen elsewhere (and Neuromancer), so at least by 2002, he's finally growing up a little. ;) Early on the distaste (or rather revulsion) of Western brands feels a little like adolescent rejection of what-the-cool-kids-like as well.

But get beyond that and there's a cool plot here. Who's making the segments of footage? Why? Do they cohere in some way? Is there a hidden message? What's coincidence, and what's conspiracy? Enjoyed the hunt far more than the revelation (actually, fairly disappointing and felt like it didn't fit with the novel's trajectory all that well...but at least that bit was quick and done with in just the last couple of chapters). I also appreciated Gibson's attempt to write about the real world, present time (now, the past--which actually shows a bit: iBook etc.) Definitely good enough that I'll at least read Spook Country at some point.

Minor flaw: (view spoiler) But I'm willing to overlook it. Oh one more: (view spoiler) Bad research, but has no real overall effect.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pattern Recognition.

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric Lin I think he wants you to read his books, and think "wow, I don't know what just happened, but that was really cool."