Lucy 's Reviews > Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Well, this sure gives us a better look on Will.
I needed that because I, most of the time, don't quite know what to think about Will Herondale.
I was moved by his pain at the end of Clockwork Prince but usually I just think that he is really cruel.
*sigh* Cassie, you sure know how to put me through so much misery :(

Merged review:

*Sigh* Everytime I read about Will, the burden he had to carry and his pain over his family, I feel like crying.

It is so freaking sad!! :'(
I wish I could get to him and take away his pain....
I wish he could have trusted in someone with his story...If he had done that, he probably wouldn't have lost everything like he did...There could have been a way out...
Anyway, the duck thing is so funny :) And now I am hell of curious!! I want to know what Ella said/did to the black duck :D
I just can imagine this:

Ahahahahah :D

Oh, Jem :'( I'm so sorry :'(

Merged review:

I would totally slap Will if he called me a prostitute!! xD

*Sigh*
I get so sad when I read about Will and his family...it is a tragedy :'(
And it is even worse because, in part, I have been through the same...not because of the same reasons of course...

Merged review:

Jem, don't think about death, you'll survive I'm sure :)
And you'll be very happy with that special someone, your bride. Hopefully, it will be Tessa +.+

Beautiful +.+
I totally share Jem's and Will's opinions about love +.+

Merged review:

At last I've read Clockwork Angel. I had to, specially after reading The Mortal Instruments Series and totally falling in love with it. It is so different though. Not in a bad way of course but I still prefer TMI.
It's so curious to see "the beginning" of the Shadow World and all that tension after the Accords.
And I fell totally in love with Jem. He's so special. The first thing appealing to me was that he plays the violin. OMG *-* Besides being physically attractive, he's also clever, sweet, sensitive, funny and wise. And he's part Asian and part British. Hotness!!! ;D
But he's dying :'( It can't be. There has to be something that can be done to save him.
Brother Enoch said that he sensed in Tessa an unusual power, that is not the shape changing. Maybe she is the hey to Jem's survival.
I think that he deserves much more Tessa's love than Will.
Will's a jerk. He's so mean. Nothing like Jace. Jace is not cruel. I can't understand why people say that Will is like Jace. They are not alike, apart from the sarcasm and irony.
I'm going to start Clockwork Prince right now and I just hope that Nathaniel and Mortmain are caught and punished and that Tessa is able to see clearly how wonderful Jem is.
And I would appreciate if Will wasn't such a jerk because he's getting on my nerves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.

Quotes Lucy Liked

Cassandra Clare
“One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”

Cassandra Clare
“Only the very weak-minded refuse to be influenced by literature and poetry.”

Cassandra Clare
“That was enterprising," Will sounded nearly impressed.
Nate smiled. Tess shot him a furious look. "Don't look pleased with yourself. When Will says 'enterprising' he means 'morally deficient.'"
"No, I mean enterprising," said Will. "When I mean morally deficient, I say, 'Now, that's something I would have done'.”

Cassandra Clare
“Are you implying that shreds of my reputation remain intact?" Will demanded with mock horror. "Clearly I have been doing something wrong. Or not something wrong, as the case may be."

He banged on the side of the carriage. "Thomas! We must away at once to the nearest brothel. I seek scandal and low companionship.”

Cassandra Clare
“Well, she's not responding to my advances," he observed more brightly than he felt, "so she must be dead."
"Or she's a woman of good taste and sense.”

Cassandra Clare
“It's all right to love someone who doesn't love you back, as long as they're worth you loving them. As long as they deserve it.”

Cassandra Clare
“If no one in the entire world cared about you, did you really exist at all?”

Cassandra Clare
“Let me give you a piece of advice. The handsome young fellow who's trying to rescue you from a hideous fate is never wrong. Not even if he says the sky is purple and made of hedgehogs.”

Cassandra Clare
“Do reasons matter when there's nothing that can be done to change things.”

Cassandra Clare
“A little girl robbed you?" Tessa said.
"Actually, she wasn’t a little girl at all, as it turns out, but a midget in a dress with a penchant for violence, who goes by the name of Six-Fingered Nigel."
"Easy mistake to make," Jem said.”

Cassandra Clare
“It is not the same thing to be good and to be kind.”

Cassandra Clare
“Whatever you are physically...male or female, strong or weak, ill or healthy--all those things matter less than what your heart contains. If you have the soul of a warrior, you are a warrior. All those other things, they are the glass that contains the lamp, but you are the light inside.”

Cassandra Clare
“This is your true self, Tessa. This power is who you are. Whoever loves you now - and you must also love yourself - will love the truth of you.”

Cassandra Clare
“There's plenty of sense in nonsense sometimes, if you wish to look for it.”

Cassandra Clare
“I have mastered many things in my life. Navigating the streets of London, speaking French without an accent, dancing the quadrille, the Japanese art of flower arranging, lying at charades, concealing a highly intoxicated state, delighting young women with my charms..."

Tessa stared.

"Alas," he went on, "no one has ever actually referred to me as 'the master,' or 'the magister,' either. More's the pity...”

Cassandra Clare
“How strange to have the power to literally transform yourself into other people, and yet be so unable to put yourself in their place.”

Cassandra Clare
“I have lost everything. Lost everything.
Everything. - William Herondale”

Cassandra Clare
“And I think that you do not understand that sometimes the only choice is between acceptance and madness.”

Cassandra Clare
“You know," Gabriel said, "there was a time I thought we could be friends, Will."

"There was a time I thought I was a ferret," Will said, "but that turned out to be the opium haze. Did you know it had that effect? Because I didn't.”

Cassandra Clare
“Will looked horrified. "What kind of monster could possibly hate chocolate?”

Cassandra Clare
“If love is great, then it is worth fighting for.”

Cassandra Clare
“Jem spoke with enormous care; talking to Will about anything personal was like trying not to startle away a wild animal.”

Cassandra Clare
“He said there are thousands of Shadowhunters, but great love comes once in a lifetime if one is lucky, and one would be a fool to let it go.”

Cassandra Clare
“I mean, is there a chance for me? To have another life after this, a better one?”

Cassandra Clare
“Hell,” he said. “Just when it was getting interesting, too.” And he leaped into the water after his friend.”

Cassandra Clare
“For that was love, wasnt it--to burn bright in someone else's eyes?”

Cassandra Clare
“I played it for my bride, and one day you will play for yours.”

Cassandra Clare
“The light that burned twice as bright burned half as long.”

Cassandra Clare
“Will rolled up his sleeves. "We'll probably have to knock down the door--"
"Or," said Jem, reaching out and giving the knob a twist, "not."
The door swung open onto a rectangle of darkness.
"Now, that's simply laziness," said Will.”

Cassandra Clare
“Jessamine recoiled from the paper as if it were a snake. "A lady does not read the newspaper. The society pages, perhaps, or the theater news. Not this filth."
"But you are not a lady, Jessamine---," Charlotte began.
"Dear me," said Will. "Such harsh truths so early in the morning cannot be good for the digestion.”

Cassandra Clare
“Pulvis et umbra sumus. It's a line from Horace. 'We are dust and shadows'. Appropriate, don't you think?" Will said. "It's not a long life, killing demons; one tends to die young, and then they burn your body - dust to dust, in the literal sense. And then we vanish into the shadows of history, nary a mark on the page of a mundane book to remind the world that once we existed at all.”

Mizpah," he said.
She blinked at him, a little dazed. "What?"
"A sort of good-bye without saying good-bye," he said. "It is a reference to a passage in the Bible. 'And Mizpah, for he said, the Lord watch between me and thee when we are absent one from another.”

Cassandra Clare
“Sometimes, when I have to do something I don't want to do, I pretend I'm a character from a book. It's easier to know what they would do.”

Cassandra Clare
“Remember when you tried to convince me to feed a poultry pie to the mallards in the park to see if you could breed a race of cannibal ducks?"

"They ate it too," Will reminisced. "Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck.”

Cassandra Clare
“Will: "Nice place to live, isn't it? Let's hope they left something behind other than filth. Forwarding addresses, a few severed limbs, a prostitute or two ..."
Jem: "Indeed. Perhaps, if we're fortunate, we can still catch syphilis."
"Or demon pox," Will suggested cheerfully, trying the door under the stairs.”

Cassandra Clare
“I know you feel inhuman, and as if you are set apart, away from life and love, but... I promise you, the right man won't care.”

Cassandra Clare
“Do you think Charlotte will let me handle the investigation?"
"Do you think you can be trusted in Downworld? The gaming hells, the dens of magical vice, the women of loose morals..."
Will smiled the way Lucifer might have smiled, moments before he fell from heaven. "Would tomorrow be to early to start looking, do you think?
Jem sighed. 'Do what you like, William. You always do.”

Cassandra Clare
“Dreams can be dangerous things.”

Cassandra Clare
“Jem gave her a wistful look. “Must you go? I was rather hoping that you’d stay and be a ministering angel, but if you must go, you must.”
“I’ll stay,” Will said a bit crossly, and threw himself down in the armchair Tessa had just vacated. “I can minister angelically.”
“None too convincingly. And you’re not as pretty to look at as Tessa is,” Jem said, closing his eyes as he leaned back against the pillow.
“How rude. Many who have gazed upon me have compared it to gazing at the radiance of the sun.”
Jem still had his eyes closed. “If they mean that it gives you a headache, they aren’t wrong.”

Cassandra Clare
“A sort of good-bye without saying good-bye," he said. "It is a reference to a passage in the Bible. 'And Mizpah, for he said, the Lord watch between me and thee when we are absent one from another.”

Cassandra Clare
“Jem and Will had set up camp on one of the long tables in the back of the library, ostensibly to help advise her, but more likely, it seemed, to mock and be amused by her consternation. “You point your feet out too much when you walk,” Will went on. He was busy polishing an apple on his shirtfront, and appeared not to notice Tessa glaring at him. “Camille walks delicately. Like a faun in the woods. Not like a duck.”
“I do not walk like a duck.”
“I like ducks,” Jem observed diplomatically. “Especially the ones in Hyde Park.” He glanced sideways at Will; both boys were sitting on the edge of the high table, their legs dangling over the side. “Remember when you tried to convince me to feed a poultry pie to the mallards in the park to see if you could breed a race of cannibal ducks?”
“They ate it too,” Will reminisced. “Bloodthirsty little beasts. Never trust a duck.”

Cassandra Clare
“Jem grinned. “Where have you been? The Blue Dragon? The Mermaid?”
“The Devil Tavern if you must know.” Will sighed and leaned against one of the posts of the bed. “I had such plans for the evening. The pursuit of blind drunkenness and wayward women was my goal. But alas, it was not to be. No sooner had I consumed my third drink in the Devil than I was accosted by a delightful small flower-selling child who asked me for two-pence for a daisy. The price seemed steep, so I refused. When I told the girl as much, she proceeded to rob me.”
“A little girl robbed you?” Tessa said.
“Actually, she wasn’t a little girl at all, as it turns out, but a midget in a dress who goes by the name of Six-Fingered Nigel.”
“Easy mistake to make,” Jem said.”

Cassandra Clare
“Goodness," Tessa said to the back of his neck. "If you keep seeing Six-Fingered Nigel like this, he'll expect you to declare your intentions.”

Cassandra Clare
“He made it very clear that he didn’t want me here,” she said at last. “That my remaining at the Institute is not the happy chance I thought it was. Not in his view.”
“And after I just finished telling you why you should consider him family,” Jem said, a bit ruefully. “No wonder you looked as if I’d just told you something awful just happened.”
“I’m sorry,” Tessa whispered.
“Don’t be. It’s Will who ought to be sorry.” Jem’s eyes darkened. “We shall throw him out onto the streets,” he proclaimed. “I promise you he’ll be gone by morning.”
Tessa started and sat upright. “Oh – no, you can’t mean that─”
He grinned. “Of course I don’t. But you did feel better for a moment there, didn’t you?”

Cassandra Clare
“Being a vampire is not a curse. It’s a disease,” Tessa filled in. “But they still can’t enter hallowed ground, then? Does that mean they’re damned?”
“That depends on what you believe,” said Jem. “And whether you believe in damnation at all.”
“But you hunt demons. You must believe in damnation!”
“I believe in good and evil,” said Jem. “And I believe the soul is eternal. I don’t believe in the fiery pit, the pitchforks, or the endless torment. I do not believe you can threaten people into goodness.”

Cassandra Clare
“Will is… difficult,” Jem said. “But family is difficult. If I didn’t think the Institute was the best place for you, Tessa, I wouldn’t say it was. And one can build one’s own family. I know you feel inhuman, and as if you were set apart, away from life and love, but…” His voice cracked a little, the first time Tessa had heard him sound unsure. He cleared his throat. “I promise you, the right man won’t care.”

Cassandra Clare
“It is the mundanes who look at me and see something they do not understand—a boy who is not quite white and not quite foreign either."
"Just as I am not human, and not demon either," Tessa said softly.
His eyes softened. "You are human," he said. "Never think you are not. I have seen you with your brother; I know how you care for him. If you can feel hope, guilt, sorrow, love—then you are human.”

01/28/2012 page 200
42.0% "OMG I so love Jem *-* He is so sweet *-* But I'm really worried because he's sick :( And Will, gosh we can really tell that he's Jace's ancestor. So much sarcasm and irony in one single person is unmistakable. Jace is much better though. He uses sarcasm and irony a lot too but it is in a different way. It is to hide his inner pain or mess around with people. But Will is a bit of a jerk."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Isabelle Hey where did you find this short story from. :)

Isabelle Thanx :D

Lucy :) Anytime :)

message 5: by Ellie (new) - added it

Ellie Love Eeyore!

Isabelle This was a interesting extra if I may say so

message 8: by Lucy (last edited May 12, 2012 06:54PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucy Indeed!! I am so curious to know what Ella did/said to the black duck!! :D

Isabelle Lucy wrote: "Indeed!! I am so curious to know what Ella did/say to the black duck!! :D
But I don't think that we will ever know...Or maybe Cassie will answer this when both TMI and TID series are over!!"

Which will be in another 2 years. Such a long wait ....

Lucy Isabelle wrote: "Lucy wrote: "Indeed!! I am so curious to know what Ella did/say to the black duck!! :D

True! It's torture!!

Isabelle where did you get this extra.