Nicholas Armstrong's Reviews > Growing Up Latino

Growing Up Latino by Harold Augenbraum

Jan 02, 12

Read in November, 2011

As with other ethnic collections, from a principled standpoint, I dislike collecting stories because they are cultural or ethnic. I think that is silly. However, this collection is mostly okay writers, so it actually kind of gets the point. Collect good authors because they are good, not because of anything else. Putting a collection of good latino writers together isn't a bad idea, so long as they are all good at their craft.

Some of these stories are good. Unfortunately, I think a lot of them fall flat. Maybe this one is a mostly opinion based thing, though. I wasn't that interested in a lot of these, but, like I said, most of them were well-written. None of them are phenomenal, none of the prose is amazingly lyrical or beautiful, and, unfortunately, none of these would hold up against the greats, not by a long shot.

But I understand that some people would be interested in the topic, and that would be enough for them to carry them through the mediocre and decent writing. So this is more a float your boat kind of thing I suppose. Didn't really float mine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Growing Up Latino.