Kirsti's Reviews > Covet

Covet by J.R. Ward

May 29, 12

Read from May 26 to 30, 2012

It's a bit unusual for me to have picked this book up and read it, because honestly, it's a bit outside my usual reading material. I like urban fantasy; but I almost never read and enjoy books with a male protagonist, and even the cover turned me off initially. I don't like angel fiction because I've read so many bad ones that when a good one comes along I'm often hesitant to pick it up. The other reason I may never have read this book was the author; J.R Ward has been on my radar for a long time, but I've been hesitant to read her more popular series. So why did I read it? Because even though I've never read any of them, I own a heap of J.R Ward's books and I decided I had to give one a chance. The Black Dagger Brotherhood series seemed too long for a test; what if I only slightly enjoyed the first book, and felt like I had to continue with the rest? (this is something I would do!) So this was my test.

It wasn't love at first sight. It wasn't even like. I struggled through the first 100 pages, huffing slightly when I realized the book was 437 pages long and I wasn't enthralled yet. Almost any other author would have lost me, but the quality of the writing was good, and there was something, some niggling feeling of potential and a refusal to let this book defeat me (I hate to start a book and not finish it, it rankles in my mind as a failure on my part, and not on the author's, to hold my interest) But I doggedly kept on, and in the end, it was worth it.

Now, angels and demons? I expected cheesy cliches, and not the rough, gritty world I received. I didn't expect the characters to feel so right, so human, and so flawed. I actually preferred many of the other characters to Jim, but he redeemed himself by the end of the book and now I find myself wondering where the author will take him. The romance was actually kind of sexy, and I didn't twig to the 'big twist' until much later than I should have.

So would I recommend this book? Yes. I was surprised at liking it as much as I did, and now I think I will read the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. If the author can pull me through when the book has elements I normally dislike, then I'm willing to give it a go, anyway!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Covet.

Kirsti Yeah I'd say it's worth a look. I enjoyed it, in the end. :)