Trish's Reviews > The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread

The Bread Baker's Apprentice by Peter Reinhart

Jan 02, 12

bookshelves: cooking, classics, art, nonfiction, one-for-the-ages
Read in January, 2012

Yeah, this is pretty darn extraordinary. If you are interested in bread, go for it. I fully expect it'll be one of your favs.

I tried the Swedish Limpa because I am trying to recreate a rye bread I tasted in Colorado years ago and which I finally learned is created through a singular process created specially at Dimmer's Bakery on Dahlia Street in Denver. Anyway, I'm still eating the Limpa a week later. It's still moist, but it isn't Dimmer's...

However, I did REinhart's recipe as background for the Pannetone at the 2011 holiday celebrations. Mind you, the guests at my tea parties did not comment on the Pannetone--they all went nuts for the Cinnamon Scones made from King Arthur's cinnamon pieces. Hmpf. Pannetone is far and away my favorite holiday bread. That others don't like it like I do just makes me think of the wine reviews I read---there is such a wide variation in personal tastes that one cannot hope to get it right every time.

Another of Reinhart's bread books, Peter Reinhart's Whole Grain Bread: New Techniques, Extraordinary Flavor, is a favorite at my house. However, I think The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread may be the book to buy if you can only buy one. He covers the waterfront on major breads of the world and his Pain à l'ancienne technique is worth the price of admission.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bread Baker's Apprentice.