Rob's Reviews > Grendel

Jan 25, 12

bookshelves: all-time-favorites, high-school, 2012
Recommended for: aspiring novelists
Read from January 21 to 24, 2012, read count: 2

Something I had forgotten in the 20 or so years since last I'd read Grendel, was that it is not a necessarily a book about the solipsism of "the monster". No, Grendel is largely unconcerned with whether/not the Scyldings exist; his struggle is not with existence [1] but rather one with alienation and isolation. In some ways, he is the ultimate outsider: not human enough for the Scyldings, too human for the animals -- the only ones that will speak with him are an aloof dragon [2] and a senile/deranged priest. [3] Grendel is not evil so much as he is an introspective nihilist.

---

[1] Making it "not really" an existential novel?

[2] Who further isolates him by granting him an apparent albeit apparently tenuous invulnerability.

[3] It is hard to count the conversations with Unferth and "the stranger" (Beowulf, the Geat); those challenges are more like lop-sided dueling soliloquies.

===

original mini-review, per original reading (approx. April 1997):

Incredible work. Helped shape my goals as a writer at a pretty early age. For better or worse.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grendel.

Quotes Rob Liked

John Gardner
“All order, I've come to understand, is theoretical, unreal — a harmless, sensible, smiling mask men slide between the two great, dark realities, the self and the world — two snake pits.”
John Gardner, Grendel

01/22/2012 page 25
01/23/2012 page 65
43.0% "Grendel's as the despair born of isolation/alienation. That said: decided not solipsistic."
01/23/2012 page 65
01/24/2012 page 121
80.0% "The dragon's gift? Only *more* alienating."

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Terry Must re-read this again. Have you read Gardner's _Freddy's Book_? It's another winner in a similar vein.

message 1: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob Dulac3 wrote: "Must re-read this again. Have you read Gardner's _Freddy's Book_? It's another winner in a similar vein."

I have not! Looks like it just earned a slot on the "to-read" list.