Sofia's Reviews > The Gunslinger

The Gunslinger by Stephen King

Jan 02, 12

bookshelves: dystopian, horror, maybe-good-enough-to-continue
Read on January 02, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Whew, what a way to start off 2012...

This is a relatively short book, but to me... it was an absolute CHORE to read.

King writes Roland perfectly, considering his character. His slow, steady, tenacious way of thinking and... everything really, comes through very well in the text. In addition, the action and horror-scenes are awesome to read. I expected no less from Stephen King.

Here's the thing, though: these kinds of stories really aren't for me. I'm talking about the dreary, post-apocalyptic settings where there is no hope and all the characters have given in to apathy, and even if they soldier on, it's mostly for the sake of having something to do: nothing really seems interesting, nothing touches them anymore.

Roland is that kind of character, and coupled with his most basic traits - lack of imagination, slow-thinking, etc. - I just couldn't enjoy him as much as I would have liked to.

The story just dragged to me. The parts about his past interested me the most, but even if we do explore that more thoroughly later in the series, it'll kinda feel like a waste, because I won't allow myself to fall in love with any of the characters when I already know they're all gonna die.

So yeah, Stephen King, don't take this the wrong way. It's not you, it's me. Seriously.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gunslinger.

Kelly You'll be surprised at what happens to these characters. . . if you can convince yourself to pick up the second book, it will hook you on page one - promise- and book three and four scream by and the end is worth all seven volumes. . . just my opinion.

Sofia Kelly wrote: "You'll be surprised at what happens to these characters. . . if you can convince yourself to pick up the second book, it will hook you on page one - promise- and book three and four scream by and t..."

I actually talked to my best friend about this just the other day, and she told me pretty much the same thing (though she absolutely hated the end of the series). Having given it some more thought, I think I will pick up the next installment... eventually. I mean, from what my friend told me, the continuation does seem interesting, so yeah! I'm a bit slow, though, so excuse me if it takes some time!

Anyway, thanks for the comment, and the tip! It's always great to recieve different opinions! :D

Kelly no prob. . . From the people I have talked to , the ending is either "Perfect" or "horrible" I have yet to meet anyone who is in the middle. Luckily for me I thought it was brilliant and exactly what should have happened. Good reading. . .

message 4: by Ris (new) - rated it 1 star

Ris AGREE- so boring and dark. I posted on my review that it's better to read the wiki summary than the actual book on this one. I'm on book 5 now and really enjoying the rest of the series though. Book 2 is REALLY interesting- completely different from the Snoozeville that is the Gunslinger. I have 3 books left, but so far I've loved all but this brutal beginning!

message 5: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe Cairney I agree with you On some parts but you really need to read all of them and when you do return and read this again and you will love it.