Sara Kovach's Reviews > Bittersweet

Bittersweet by Sarah Ockler

Jan 15, 2012

bookshelves: read-2012, contemporary, completely-contemp, contemps-to-be-published-in-2012, a-to-z, a-to-z-challenge
Read from January 11 to 14, 2012

Cupcakes, Figure-skating, and Hockey. What a combination - but it works!!!! The format of the book - with cupcakes as chapter headings - how ingenious! The names and descriptions of the cupcake "titles" definitely matched the story-line of each chapter.

Bittersweet is such a sweet story - literally - pun intended. You get drawn into each character. Hudson - our protagonist has so much going on in her life - the diner, figure-skating, her family, her friends, the boys - where does she start, and where does she end. She struggles so much to make the right decisions, for herself and for those she cares about. The hockey boys - what a refreshing look. I usually hate athletic boys in stories - so cocky and full of themselves. While there was a little of this, the author showed us a side of them that made me actually like each one.

I just loved how so much was wrapped up into this story. It was a quick and easy read, but kept me wanting for more. I could not put it down once I started. I was wrapped up in Hudson's life, that I still feel myself drawn back in and thinking about it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bittersweet.