RandomAnthony's Reviews > The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz

Jun 25, 2008

Read in July, 2008

You know those books that remind you why you like reading so much? The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao is one of those books. Diaz’ whip-smart writing and brilliant characterizations pulsed on the page and his integration of Dominican history (which could have dragged this book down big-time) melded with Oscar’s story as naturally as if (and I suppose Diaz would say they are) one. You have to fight through some of the thickets of the intertwining plots but the effort is worthwhile. Did it deserve the Pulitzer? What the fuck do I care? I’m recommending “Oscar Wao” to my friends, and it’s on the top of my 2008 booklist. Thanks, Mr. Diaz. Well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

Chloe If a book this glowingly reviewed only gets four stars, I have to wonder if anything merits five? Here I was thinking I had a harsh rating scale, you blow me out of the water.

message 2: by RandomAnthony (last edited Jul 27, 2008 03:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

RandomAnthony That's a good point, sir. I don't pretend to have the star thing down. But I don't give five stars much...not because I'm elitist, I hope, but because I can't figure out a good goddamn system. I think it's the term "amazing" that I associate with books that at the end leave me like Catholic mass is supposed to feel if it works or whatever. I give most books three stars so within the context four stars is high. Please forgive my bastardization of the stars.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I'm gonna read this someday. Quit naggin' me already.