John's Reviews > The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals

M_50x66
Jan 15, 12

bookshelves: cooking-food
Read from January 02 to 11, 2012

At this point I don't think it is a huge mystery that the system that creates much of the food we eat is filled with a number of mysterious ingredients that may not be good for us nor is it surprising that the meat that most of us eat is not really the most naturally raised animals. That said, this book was very interesting to provide additional details around these areas and the author's quest to find food raised as naturally as possible. Pollan is a bit overly idealistic (Not everyone has access to the food sources he does year round living in NorCal) and eventually he admits that and he is a bit whiney about the industrial food chain. His points however are valid, the research he did and the folks he met and his observations are pretty solid. He does provide food for thought (no pun intended) about the food we purchase and consume and I know it caused me to look at the food at the local grocery store a bit differently.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Omnivore's Dilemma.