Branimir's Reviews > Tvrđava

Tvrđava by Meša Selimović

4442035
Feb 06, 12

bookshelves: bosnia, must-read-again, ex-yugoslavia

I read this book long ago, back in high school. It left a really deep mark on me, it changed the way I, a young teen, viewed the world - exactly the thing a good book is supposed to do. The author, Meša Selimović, along with Ivo Andrić, the famed Nobel Prize Winner, is one of the best 20th-century Bosnian writers. In this work he succeeded in capturing the "soul" of ordinary Bosnian folk.

Selimović uses Ahmet Šabo, the novel's protagonist, to express himself about general things in life:

Experience had taught me that what you can’t explain to yourself is better told to another. You can deceive yourself with just one part of the picture that happens to impose itself with a feeling difficult to express, since it hides in the face of the pain of comprehension and flies into the mists, into the intoxication that seeks no meaning. For the other, exact speech is essential, and this forces you to seek it, to feel its presence somewhere within you, and to grasp it, it or its shadow, so as to recognize it in another’s face, in another’s glance, as he begins to comprehend it. The listener is the midwife in the difficult birth of the word. Or, still more important—if he desires to understand.
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tvrđava.

Quotes Branimir Liked

Meša Selimović
“The listener is the midwife in the difficult birth of the word.”
Meša Selimović, The Fortress

message 1: by Omkar (new) - added it

Omkar Jadhav wow, mind blowing! to read and understand this in high school, you must be a direct descendant of Selimovic