Rachel's Reviews > My Life as a White Trash Zombie

My Life as a White Trash Zombie by Diana Rowland

Jan 09, 12

bookshelves: 2012, fiction, urban-fantasy
Read in January, 2012

When I heard that the zombie is the main character and the "good-guy" of this book, I knew I had to read it. I've never heard of a book with a zombie good-guy before! And just look at the cover - how could I resist?

Angel lives with her alcoholic dad in Southern Louisiana. She's a pill junkie and a high-school dropout who can't hold a job. In other words, a loser. One day, she wakes up in the hospital after overdosing. She remembers being in a terrible car crash but she mysteriously has no injuries. A note is delivered to her hospital room informing her that a job at the county morgue is waiting for her when she's released. How convenient now that she has an inexplicable craving for brains. Unfortunately, there is a serial killer on the loose who decapitates his victims.

This book was so fun and original - I loved it. It has two mysteries to solve: 1)Who turned Angel into a zombie? and 2)Who is the serial killer? I couldn't figure out either mystery, the author definitely kept me guessing. There is also just the slightest hint of a romance thrown in as well. Angel is a great character. She has her flaws (obviously) but she is so likable, I was rooting for her to turn her life around.

After finishing My Life As A White Trash Zombie, I was delighted to learn that it's the first book in a series. The next book is called Even White Trash Zombies Get the Blues and will be released on July 3.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Life as a White Trash Zombie.