Savannah B's Reviews > The Selection

May 29, 13

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, arctastic, yayaya, yadac
Read in March, 2012

I saw several “It’s like The Bachelor + Hunger Games” reviews before I received an ARC of The Selection, (courtesy of the awesome girls at the DAC ARC Tours home) and I was wary. I loved the Hunger Games (ok, I loved Catching Fire. But I really really liked the trilogy as a whole). I don’t love The Bachelor.

But, oddly enough, the book The Selection most reminded me of was Lauren DeStefano’s Wither.

Both are/have:
Post-apocalypticish
Dystopian
Girls in fancy dresses
Girls living in castles (both MC girls living in castles against their will)
Princes (or prince-like dudes) you’re supposed to have sympathy for, even though there’s…
The Other Boy
Potential/Actual Big Bad Guys

While I was reading The Selection, I just kept going back and back and back again to Wither, so much so that I feel like I might have meshed the two together in my head. (I’ve since unmeshed them, because I just finished DeStefano’s Fever… and I’ll have more words on that book later.)

For the most part, I liked The Selection. I felt like America Singer is a strong backbone for the book. I feel like both Aspen and Prince Maxon are legit love interests- meaning I didn’t immediately dislike either of them, or distrust their intentions. Hellooooo, love triangle! As with the Hunger Games, some of the character names are a tad on the silly side (and there are also Caesar Flickerman- and Effie Trinket-esque characters). As with The Bachelor, there are catty, back-stabbing, alliance-forming girls galore… which turned out to be more fun than I thought it would be.

I’m already looking forward to the second book. I want to see America rise to the challenge of the Selection process, I want to see how the girls continue to interact with each other, I want to learn more about the outside invaders, and I want to see which handsome fella America ends up with!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selection.