Catherine's Reviews > The Last Station: A Novel of Tolstoy's Last Year

2059285
Jan 08, 12

bookshelves: bookcrossing
Read in January, 2008

I knew Tolstoy was popular in his time, but until I read this book, I had no idea he was such an inspiration, nor did I have much idea of his politics in spite of having read both Anna Karenina and War Peace.

While it was easy to dislike everyone in the book, but I was able to find some sympathy for most of them. The one exception was Chertkov, maybe because he was the one major character who was never, as far as I remember, given the chance to tell a part of the story himself. While I didn't agree with or like the actions of the others, I felt I could at least understand their motivations, why each of them thought they were doing the right thing, and that made it easier to accept their actions. However there was nothing to make me think of Chertkov as anything but a cynical glory-seeker.

On my to-be-read-one-day are some of Tolstoy's more philosophical writings, as my quote to remember from this book is: ,i>God is not love, but the more love there is in man, the more is God made manifest in him, and the more truly does he exist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Station.