Lavonne's Reviews > 11/22/63

11/22/63 by Stephen King

Jan 02, 12

bookshelves: sci-fi-horror, historical-fiction, time-travel, kindle-editions
Read in January, 2012

I was, of course, first attracted to this book because of being a long-standing King fan for more years than I care to count. The title has a particular fascination for me, not only being the date of Kennedy’s assassination, but also the date I was due to be born. My mother says she can remember seeing the news report on television and praying that her baby was not born on that day. (I wasn’t, but that’s another long story, especially for my mother.)

Mostly, though, I am a big fan of time travel, and I was anxious to see how King treated the subject. In my view, he did it very well. In fact, I think that this is probably going to be one of my favorites, if not THE favorite, of his more recent endeavors. People can complain, and they do, about the weight and length of his tomes, but not one word is wasted. No detail is brought up that will not be used at some point, even if it is 500 pages later. Every detail is essential to the construction of his story. He is absolutely a phenomenal writer and this book reads like good, old-fashioned story-telling.

In regards to time travel itself, I have read every book, and watched every movie and TV show, I could find about the subject. I have often found the plots to be some variation of “Let’s kill Hitler!”, which generally always sounds like a good idea. However, it never works out, or at least, not in the ways that the travelers intend. The next best idea must be “Let’s save Kennedy!” At least, with the Kennedy scenario, you don’t actually have to kill anyone, if you can just find a way to stop Oswald. But what is it they say about good intentions and paving certain roads? Yes, that’s the one.

You cannot change the past. A clichéd, little truism … or a word of caution?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 11/22/63.