Jenn's Reviews > Magic Gifts

F 50x66
Jan 02, 2012

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in January, 2012

As I mentioned a couple weeks ago, Gordon and Ilona Andrews were kind enough to offer up a free short story to their readers. I would have read it immediately but the holidays are a busy time around my folks' place and I didn't have a chance to read it until just now.

Magic Gifts takes place right after Magic Slays (the fifth book in the series) and intersects with Gunmetal Magic, the upcoming Andrea book, which I am so very excited about. It's a great short story that focuses on Kate and Curran and their inability to do anything like normal people. ;)

As you probably know by now, my adoration of all things Ilona Andrews is borderline obsessive. I knew they could write shorter fiction thanks to their fun SF novellas and the Alphas novel in Angels of Darkness, which I neglected to post about, and so I was so very excited when I started reading Magic Gifts. While the plot is necessarily less complex than those of the novels in the series, the short story is a delightful exploration of Kate Daniels' world. We get to see Kate and Curran do their thing and we get to learn a little bit more of the world's mythology since their dinner date eventually (d)evolves into them seeking information from drunken vikings. It's just as awesome as it sounds. Plus it has the usual crackling dialogue and fast-paced action.

Magic Gifts also deals with some of the aftermath of Magic Bleeds since the mercenary guild is in disarray. I love it when Kate's forced to deal with politics because it makes her so uncomfortable and I can't wait to see how the outcome affects future books.

I cannot urge your more strongly to download Magic Gifts right this very second. It's only available for a couple more days so download it now!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Gifts.