Meenoo's Reviews > The Taste of Sorrow

The Taste of Sorrow by Jude Morgan

Jul 07, 12

This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. It's a beautiful introspective story of a close-knit family that relies on itself for support, understanding, entertainment, and escape from a grim childhood and grimmer future. Of course, the family are the Brontes, and their inner and outer lives are revealed in this remarkable book. All of the characters, Charlotte, Emily, Anne, Branwell, and the emotionally absent father Patrick are rendered carefully. This is a melancholy book (what can you expect, it's the Brontes) but their lives require it. I cannot imagine how you would survive if every one of your beloved siblings died of the same disease.
Besides the portrayal of the family members, I also liked how the writer showed how they individually dealt with the reality of working for their livelihoods. How to balance a creative life with the need to earn a living? This is an issue still relevant today. Another relevant issue is how to stay true to oneself while connecting with others. As probably one of the most socially awkward families I have seen in literature, they each dealt with their awkwardness in different ways. I enjoyed how different each sibling's personality was portrayed. It seemed true to me--I can picture Emily being the weirdest one in that whole family of weirdos.
I am very excited about reading more of this writer's work--I cannot recommend this book enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Taste of Sorrow.