Rebecca A. Rogers's Reviews > Destined

Destined by Jessie Harrell

Apr 05, 12

bookshelves: own, indie-or-small-press, paranormal, romance, paranormal-romance, mythology
Read from March 07 to 19, 2012

I’ve always had a sweet spot for mythological stories, and Jessie Harrell definitely doesn’t disappoint with this forbidden romance between a mortal (view spoiler) and a god.

Aphrodite’s chosen a new daughter (after Helen of Troy). Psyche is a beautiful princess, so what’s more befitting than pairing Psyche with Aphrodite’s son, Eros (a.k.a. Cupid), in an arranged marriage? Maybe the fact that Psyche and Eros are not interested in each other one bit? This is where the fun begins. After Psyche and Eros refuse to marry, Aphrodite wreaks havoc, and Psyche is subjected to suitors from near and far. Her sister is even married before her, and suddenly none of the suitors want to marry Psyche. In a last-ditch effort, Psyche’s father journeys to visit an oracle, so he may know his daughter’s future.

Meanwhile, behind the scenes, Eros disguises himself, intending to aim an arrow at Psyche, but he just can’t do it. Instead, he pricks his own skin with the tip of his arrow. Eros knows if Psyche sees him, they’ll never be together, so he screws with the oracle’s prophecy so he can capture Psyche and have her all to himself. The catch? He can only visit her at night, shrouded in a black, misty veil.

But we all know that can’t last forever. The veil will slip, Psyche will know it was him she kissed so passionately, and then what happens? Where do you go from there? The Underworld? Mount Olympus? Yes and yes, and then some. :)

Overall, this couple goes to great lengths to be with each other, and I think their loyalty is amazing. :) I would’ve loved to see these characters in a series, but I’m happy with the HEA just as much. One thing I loved, loved, loved about this novel was the setting/world-building. I felt like I was living in this fantasy world. The details aren’t overdone, but it’s just enough to feed your imagination. If you’re looking to get lost in the pages of a new spin on Greek mythology, then I’d suggest picking up this novel.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Destined.

03/07/2012
03/18/2012
15.0% "Good so far. Can't wait to see where the Psyche-Eros relationship will go. :)"