Lyndsey's Reviews > A Monster Calls

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

I don't believe that you can ever learn everything from a single story.

Many tales and many lessons contribute to an individual's personal truth. However, if you're looking for something that comes close to being a one-stop-shop for all your personal emotional needs, this would be it.

A Monster Calls contains breathtaking art by Jim Kay and is paired with a story of heartbreaking artistry from Patrick Ness.

Do I recommend this book? A million times yes and a million times no. How can I recommend something that will will break the heart of every single person who reads it? Yet... How can I not?

What is this book about, you ask? It's about life and, of course, it's about death.

Well. It's about a lot of things.

It's about the small things like making cereal for yourself in the morning and feeling the crunch of leaves under your feet. It's about the big things like losing battles, gaining friendships, getting lost in imagination, and finding yourself in the world. It's about the bigger things like the disappointed look in the eyes of someone you've hurt or the loving look in the eyes of the person who loves you more than anything else. It's about the biggest things like the hopes and fears you have for yourself and, more importantly, for those you love most in all the world.

It's about learning to open up and shed tears over the best and the worst moments of this life, whether you're laughing so hard that you cry or crying so hard that you shake. But mostly. Mostly it's about truth.

If any book ever came close to being everything, it's THIS one.
102 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Monster Calls.

Quotes Lyndsey Liked

Patrick Ness
Stories are the wildest things of all, the monster rumbled. Stories chase and bite and hunt.
Patrick Ness, A Monster Calls

Comments (showing 1-15)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 15: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen Great review, Lyndsey.

Trudi Beautiful review and I couldn't agree more.

Lyndsey Thanks Stephen and Trudi!! This is a VERY difficult book to write a review for.

message 12: by Cara (new) - added it

Cara Oh goodness I have to read this. This is probably the thousandth good review I've read. Kudos Lyndsey for conveying how you felt about it so well.

Lyndsey Cara wrote: "Oh goodness I have to read this. This is probably the thousandth good review I've read. Kudos Lyndsey for conveying how you felt about it so well."

I know. I'm so late to the party but what an intense party it turned out to be...and it's still going strong! I can't even say how happy I am about that. Definitely read it, Cara!! It's so worth the emotional roller-coaster ride.

message 10: by Cara (new) - added it

Cara Ha! You aren't so late you are beating me at least. I will read it, soon...

Kate (Nomalicious Reads) I bought this last week after several people telling me that I just HAD to get my hands on it, after reading your amazing review Lyndsey I can't wait to start it myself!

Lyndsey Thanks Kate! I suspect that you'll both love and hate it like us all. :-)

Jana Wonderful review! I do feel, though, that I should stay clear off your reviews for a while because they keep adding to my ever-growing reading list. :) *adds A Monster Calls to shopping cart*

message 6: by Molly (new) - added it

Molly Talbert Love this review! Perfect!

Nick Your review made me cry all over again!!

Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} Brilliant review, Lyndsey.

Lashawn De Even your review made me cry! Well said.

message 2: by Joelle (new) - added it

Joelle Gibson I just want to copy and paste what you said to my own review because it is perfect. (ps I won't lol)

Dafne This review should go on the back of the book.