Kasey Sinclair's Reviews > Lost

Lost by Gregory Maguire

Jan 12, 12

Read from January 02 to 11, 2012

Although I never finished reading Maguire's iconic Wicked, I saw this book while out book shopping with a friend and decided to pick it up. I have to admit, I'm glad I did, because I managed to finish the book.

I didn't give it 5 stars because there were some parts that were difficult to follow, which I put down to the author's bizarre writing style. There were parts where the text was different, which took me a bit to figure out why it was done like that. It's not often that you read a book featuring a main character who is writing a book. And of course he allows her to follow the clichéd recommendation of writing what you know.

I should warn any of you who may be interested in a story featuring the ghost of Jack the Ripper: it's only a very minor pseudo-plot. I bought the book mainly because there was a mention of ghosts and it was set in England, but I would be lying if I said the fact that a potential ghost of Jack the Ripper didn't appeal as well. Buy it because you like paranormal fiction, not because Jack the Ripper is mentioned in the synopsis on the back of the book like I did.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost.

01/02/2012 page 52
15.0% "Despite never finishing Wicked, I picked up this book using a gift card I was given for Xmas. The paranormal nature of the book appealed to me. So far, so good."
01/09/2012 page 204
60.0% "Getting kinda strange now, but that's par for the course with Maguire. He's a strange one."
01/11/2012 page 310
91.0% "Still enjoying the book. Favourite laugh-out-loud moment: "Winnie approached the maitre d' and grabbed his shoulder, and Gervasa said, out loud, in her own tongue, something like, 'You smelly old pompous shithole, give me a talbe before I slice off your nuts, or you'll be speaking in neither French NOR English, but in baby squeals.'""
show 1 hidden update…