David Yoon's Reviews > Moonlight Mile

Moonlight Mile by Dennis Lehane

Jan 02, 12

Read in January, 2012

Lehane has somehow avoided the curse of the bad movie adaptation with Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone and Shutter Island. He's such a "guys" writer without being cliche. Despite having all the standard set pieces and actors he manages to put them together with an easy familiarity. It doesn't hurt that he has such a keen ear for dialogue (except in the case of teenagers which made me cringe every time) So while I didn't read Gone Baby Gone, I did see the movie, which helped inform the backstory to Moonlight Mile.

I just love his muscular, descriptive style whether it's rendering a narcissistic, chauvinist "Master of the Universe" or a psychotic Russian mobster. While these are essential elements that drive the plot forward I especially enjoyed the wry observations of the time. It's America, post economic meltdown with a middle aged P.I. that's feeling the years and the crushing weight of just making a living.

Quite the contrast reading this after just finishing Evanovich's "One For the Money"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonlight Mile.