Julie Smith (Knitting and Sundries)'s Reviews > All I Did Was Shoot My Man

All I Did Was Shoot My Man by Walter Mosley

F_50x66
Feb 06, 12

bookshelves: arc, julie-s-2012-read-many-books-challe, reviewed, mystery, thriller
Read from January 23 to 26, 2012 — I own a copy

This review first appeared on my blog: http://www.knittingandsundries.com/20...

Last year I read and reviewed my first (but Mosley's third) installment in the Leonid McGill series, When the Thrill is Gone. It was enough to make me love this character - a thinking man's P.I. with a philosophical bent:

The path of my life appeared before me-hard and clear. I could,
in the dream, turn around and take everything back. I could pass
through time and decide not to help Zella or lie to Shelly. I could
travel all the way back to the womb and be another person or no
one at all. But I was too comfortable on that quartz plinth under
the summer's sun. Laying there my life seemed to have enough
meaning to engender nostalgia - the greatest enemy of human logic.

In All I Did Was Shoot My Man, Leonid is back, trying to atone for some of his past wrongs. When a woman named Zella gets out of prison for the double crime of shooting her boyfriend for cheating on her with her best friend as well as being part of a multi-million dollar heist from the Rutgers Assurance Corp., he meets her at the station with start-up money, a place to stay, and a job.

When people Mosley knows are actually associated with the heist start to turn up dead, Leonid convinces Zella to go to one of his safe houses while he tries to figure out who is responsible. The consummate multi-tasker, he is following up leads on his own father (who deserted the family when Leonid was young), trying to keep his younger son out of trouble by hiring him, looking for the baby that Zella was pregnant with when she went to prison, and working to keep from being killed himself.

Mr. Mosley has come up with another winner - part mystery, part thriller, part family drama - completely entertaining.

QUOTES

I mean Katrina and I hadn't been intimate or jealous of each other's lives in years. We had three children but two of those had nothing to do with my DNA. Katrina said they were mine and I went along with the sham because they were in my house and Katrina maintained that house. She also made the best food I ever ate in my life.

"Mr. Plimpton, I'm going to sit on this couch and wait until I either speak to Miss Lowry or somebody she reports to. You can go back into your rat's maze and tell the king rat that I said so."

"Somebody's trying to kill me?" I asked.
"I believe that your name might be on a list somewhere."
"What kind of sense does that make?"
"You think you're so innocent that no one could ever mean you harm?"
"No. What I wonder is why would you care?"
"I'm a cop, LT. It's my job to protect the welfare of even garbage like you."
I disconnected the call. No reason to argue or protest. I was interested at the obvious anger that Kit was feeling. He rarely showed his feelings. I didn't much either. That's why we might have been friends in another life.

Kit watched me for a few moments before saying, "That was some impressive killing you did. Naked too."
"I hope I didn't embarrass Officer Palmer."
"She said that after all she heard about you she thought your Johnson would be bigger.'
"Tell her that the air conditioner was on."

Writing: 4 out of 5 stars
Plot: 4 out of 5 stars
Characters: 4 out of 5 stars
Reading Immersion: 4 out 5 stars

BOOK RATING: 4 out of 5 stars
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All I Did Was Shoot My Man.

01/23/2012 page 69