Susan's Reviews > Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter

Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin

Jan 02, 12

Read in November, 2011

Can you say the 1970's are historical? Then I guess it is -- as am I.

Crooked Letter, Crooked letter. This is a a well written and thought out novel. The weird Larry Ott and Silas create an unusual friendship in Mississippi which as high school rolls around changes. As do friendships. When Larry takes a girl to the movies, and she is never seen again, well everything changes forever.

20 years later Silas returns as the constable he is forced to deal with the past, and Larry Ott-- Oh and another missing girl!

I read this book in a day. I liked the characters most of the time--but they made mistakes. Like all people do... but that is really what I liked. These characters felt real. We all make mistakes. I felt for them, because I felt like I could know them. I seemed understand the hurt, betrayal, and silent determinations to carry on.

Also, what I really liked: This book is a mystery, at its core. I wanted to figure it out, to know what actually happened to that missing girl 20 years ago. I also wanted to know what happened to the new missing girl! But The friendship of these two boys, now men... captured my heart a bit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter.