Davina's Reviews > How Ya Like Me Now

How Ya Like Me Now by Brendan Halpin

Jan 31, 12

bookshelves: teen-fiction-coming-of-age, teen-fiction-drama, teen-realistic-fiction
Read from January 02 to 31, 2012

After Eddie's father dies, his mom takes solace in drugs and alcohol rather than Eddie. Things get so bad that Eddie ends up taking care of himself, paying the bills, making dinner, all those things that adults are meant to be doing for their children. When Eddie's mom finally lands in rehab, he goes to live with an aunt and uncle and their son, who goes to a special urban private school. For Eddie this is a complete change from how he has lived his life and he finds it very difficult to learn how to be a teenager again.

What I thought:

I think what I appreciate most about Halpin's writing is his ability to create completely unique characters for each of his books. Even some of my most favorite authors (for example, Green) can't fully pull this off, but Halpin can. Every book I have read of his is completely different.

Who would I recommend this to: Good boy-realistic-fiction books are a rarity; librarians: put this one on your go-to list.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Ya Like Me Now.