Anya's Reviews > Fantoom

Fantoom by Terry Goodkind

Jan 08, 12

Read from January 02 to 08, 2012

If I had to base this review upon the first 200 pages, I would have given only one star, if any at all. If you haven't read any of the previous 9 books (and let's face it, who on earth would read only the 10th book in a series of 11 books?!) than the first 200 pages of "Phantom" are an excellent way to get up to speed on all the important events that occurred in books 1 - 9.

If you have read all of the other books (like any logical thinking reader would do) than you will certainly share my opinion on the first third of "Phantom". It's boring. Maybe not the yawn-I-can't-keep-my-eyes-open kind of boring (after all, it is still Goodkind who spins the story and somehow manages to keep it just interesting enough) but it certainly is a very tedious bit.

I understand that because so much happened in the past books, Goodkind felt the need to recapitulate all important events just to make the reader really comprehend the philosophy of the Sword of the Truth series. But did he have to do it through talking? All the characters seem to do in the first part of the book is talk. They talk and talk and talk and talk and... You get the point. Just endless monologues and talking and discussing and some more talking. Like I said: a very tedious bit.

But once you get through those first 200 or so pages, you can sit back and enjoy the kind of tale only Goodkind can create. All of the characters are somehow thrown right into their worst nightmare. Rachel ends up in the claws of the queen who loves a good beheading (or torture, which ever one suits her most), Zedd has to deal with Richard's disappearance, there's a new witch in town (beware, Shota!), Kahlan ends up with Jagang and something happens to Richard's abilities. How very frighting, yet exciting!

The last parts of the book are the reason for this 4 star review. Goodkind is the only author so far who, with his stories, manages to creep me out, makes me want to put the book aside (because whatever I'm reading is too gruesome or horrifying to read about) but at the same time compels me to read on. I literally feel the disgust swirling in my stomach when I get to the icky parts.

It's frighting, yet exciting! It's one of the main reasons why I like his work so much and why I recommend the Sword of Truth Series to anyone and everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fantoom.

01/03/2012 page 135