Marty Shaw's Reviews > The Real Werewives of Vampire County

The Real Werewives of Vampire County by Alexandra Ivy

Jan 02, 2012

Read in November, 2011

I received The Real Werewives of Vampire County from the fantabulous Jess Haines (thanks, Jess), and couldn’t resist the quirky charm and humor of these upper-class denizens of the supernatural world.

Where Darkness Lives by Alexandra Ivy – No one’s more surprised than Sophia when she’s struck by an unfamiliar maternal urge to move near her daughters. But instead of being greeted by a welcome committee, she’s targeted by kidnappers…and saddled with a gorgeous bodyguard on a mission to protect – and seduce.

Alexandra has a lot going on in her life and she’s made more than a few enemies. You’ll probably find yourself working the mystery alongside Alexandra and Luc as they try to discover who’s behind the attacks, and I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I was looking at the wrong person.

Murder on Mysteria Lane by Angie Fox – When a werewolf trophy wife is found dead in Vampire County, Heather McPhee goes undercover to investigate. Heather’s never been a mascara-and-manicures sort of girl, but she’s willing to learn. Especially with sexy vampire detective Lucien Mead posing as her husband.

Mystery and humor come together perfectly in Fox’s contribution to the Werewives anthology. Lucien Mead is cool and totally in control, always the perfect picture of sophistication… and Heather McPhee is not.

I think this one had me laughing the most because Heather is totally bad-ass when she straps on her knives and gets down to business, but put her in heels and a sundress and she’s completely lost. Seeing her try to blend in with her new high-class neighbors was a riot.

Heather might be a totally tough werewolf but that’s not what makes her stand out. In addition to being able to get all furry, she’s like a walking truth serum. Let her lock eyes with you and the truth will be known. Of course, every power has its limitations so solving the mystery isn’t as easy as Heather originally believes. In addition to Heather’s endless challenge of fitting in with the neighbors, there’s a healthy dose of comedy injected into the story by Lucien’s assistant, Vinny. What can I say about the guy? He has a sharp sense of humor and the ability to change his shape, so you never know who you’re going to get when he walks through the door; it might be the stereotypical French maid or you could be greeted by Alexander Skarsgård. He definitely keeps you on your toes.

I would love to see Heather in other adventures… but only if Lucien and Vinny were tagging along too. It just wouldn’t be the same without them.

Werewolves in Chic Clothing by Tami Dane – Ever since Christine Price moved in with her fiance, Jonathan, and his twelve-year-old son, she’s worked hard to fit in with a cadre of local women whose lives seem picture-perfect. Except no one in Jon’s upscale neighbourhood is quite who they appear to be. Least of all Jon.

Tami’s story packed the most mystery for me as Christine is reminded of that old adage – if it’s too good to be true then it probably isn’t. She’s given up her entire life to be with the man she loves, and now she’s not sure that was the smartest thing to do. Her new neighbors have suspicions about Jon and Wife #1, and if they’re right, the situation might not be too good for Wife #2.

This one had to be a one-sitting reading because there was no way that I was going to put this story down before finding out what was going on. Tami did a great job of stringing me along and I didn’t mind one bit. Werewolves in Chic Clothing will keep you guessing until the very end.

What’s Yours is Mine by Jess Haines – Still Waters is like many other exclusive gated communities – except that it’s home to one of the largest werewolf packs in the state. But Tiffany Winters isn’t frightened of her big, bad new neighbors. In fact, she intends to take her place among the pack.

The previous stories had the ladies sharing the spotlight with the men, but Jess’ tale of the suburban supernatural is all about the women. Sure, there are guys here too, but the women have ways of getting what they want. Wow! Those werewolves sure can be a randy bunch. LOL

If you’ve read Jess’ H&W Investigations series, you know about the Others, so you’ll be familiar with how things work in this world. The White Hats sort of make an appearance, too. However, there’s no Shiarra in this adventure because the story belongs 100% to a few members of the Diamondfang clan.

Meet Cassandra, Vera, Alexis, and Heather. These ladies are good at getting what they want, and what they want is new blood. They set their sights on newcomer Tiffany, but they don’t realize Tiffany has set her sights on them. If you’re looking for some good ol’ fashioned cat-fighting, What’s Yours is Mine will give you what you want… with a werewolf twist, of course. I loved the snarkiness of Cassandra and her cohorts, laughing regularly at some of the verbal sparring that went on between the ‘ladies.’ This is a group of wolves that don’t have to whip out claws or fangs to draw blood because they’ve raised acting superior to everyone else to the level of being an art form.

If you like your paranormal action with just a touch of humor then you need to give The Real Werewives of Vampire County a try. The stories inside are just as great as the title implies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Real Werewives of Vampire County.