Jeeves Williams's Reviews > Just My Type: A Book About Fonts

Just My Type by Simon Garfield

Dec 09, 2015

bookshelves: design, i-own
Read in December, 2011

You'd think a book entirely focused on typefaces would only interest those with a keen interest in graphic design, but no, Simon Garfield's font-filled fact-fest appeals to the everyday reader, too. Anyone from the most experienced of typographical artists to your average computer user whose knowledge of fonts stretches no further than Arial and Comic Sans will enjoy it. Packed to the brim with interesting stuff about all areas of the field of typography. Each chapter revolves around a single topic, be it the fonts used on album art to brand a certain artist or band to the importance of legibility of the type on road signs. And every ten/twenty pages, there's a little 'font break' - a couple of pages dedicated solely to the history and summary of a single typeface. 'Just My Type' is only let down by its foundational nature; there are many places where Garfield leaves a lot to be desired. A tad more depth would have been the cherry on the top of an otherwise-intriguing read on a somewhat obscure subject.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just My Type.