Rob's Reviews > Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

Oct 22, 12

bookshelves: all-time-favorites, own, 2008, 100-paperbacks, 2012
Recommended for: everyone
Read from October 12 to 21, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 5

This book was just a mind-blowing read through and through. It's like packaged brain damage. In a good way.

--- upon 2nd read: ---
Obviously not as surprising on the second but equally potent. Great extended metaphor for mechanisms of learning and memory. And its craft does not diminish.

--- Murakami meta-commentary: ---
ALSO: Does anyone have any idea what is up with Murakami's apparent fascination with juvenile female supporting-perhaps-even-central plot characters? E.g., Dance Dance Dance ; e.g., Wind-Up Bird Chronicle ; e.g., Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World . This is a common trope for him and I cannot figure out this sub-text.

------

SEE ALSO
"10 Science Fiction Books That I Love (and you will at least like a lot)" at litreactor
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.

Quotes Rob Liked

Haruki Murakami
“Had I done the right thing by not telling her? Maybe not. Who on earth wanted the right thing anyway? Yet what meaning could there be if nothing was right? If nothing was fair? Fairness is a concept that holds only in limited situations. Yet we want the concept to extend to everything, in and out of phase.”
Haruki Murakami, Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

Haruki Murakami
“Don't blame me. That's evolution. Evolution's always hard. Hard and bleak. No such thing as happy evolution.”
Haruki Murakami, Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

10/13/2012 page 37
show 8 hidden updates…

message 1: by Marissa (new)

Marissa Barbieri I LOVE this book!

Steve What you said about juvenile female characters might not be specifically Murakami. As we discussed with the Japanese common theme of amnesia, the importance of young females is extremely common in other stories I've seen. While not necessarily a novel, every single story in Final Fantasy 11 is centered around a juvenile female protagonist. Cornelia in the original, Lion in the first expansion, Prishe, Ulmia and Esha'ntarl in the second, Aphmau and Naja in the third and Lilisette in the fourth.