Beatriz Lins's Reviews > Switched

Switched by Amanda Hocking

Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: great-writing, romance, ya, bleeding-eyes, abrupt-romance
Read from April 16 to 17, 2012

Have you ever read a book that alarmed you, in some way, after Chapter One? Have you ever felt angry after a couple of pages, enough to set off your alarms and make you want to stop reading it? That's what Switched did to me. The premise was interesting at first, a girl whose mother had tried to kill her, based on some crazy instinct, when she was six. Same girl finding out her mother was right, years later. Finding out that she isn't human, but a different race, a changeling. Yeah, the synopsis picked my curiosity, but after 20 pages or so, my eyes were bleeding.

What bothered me most about Switched was the romance. Now, you're probably thinking, "But a book has more to it than just the romance". And I agree with you. But when the author decides to write a romance novel, it has to have some depth. I, personally, like to see the main character's personality developing a little, to give me a sense of what she would or wouldn't do in certain cases. To give me a sense of who the main character is. Only then, the romance is welcoming. That didn't happen in Switched, at all. Finn, the love interest, is introduced to us in the tenth page or so. How, God Almighty, am I supposed to understand Wendy's attraction to Finn, if I don't even know her?

As the story goes on and on about what changelings are (not much of an answer provided there, either), and what Wendy is supposed to do in order to fit in the changeling society, I just couldn't connect with her at all. It was like I was watching a soup opera, a bunch of characters interacting with each other without depth. I couldn't see past Wendy's narration, I couldn't understand why she liked Finn so much, and what the hell was so special about her. Apart from her powers, she's ordinary, painfully so.

Not to mention that their romance is ridiculous, in the beginning. The guy stalks her, and even though she actually wonders if he's a psycho... she gives him access to her room, in the middle of the night, right after he treated her like dirt. What is wrong with this girl? I was outraged by this, and other parts in which her self-preservation is absent. That's why I was so angry. However, their romance began to work a lot better after a 100 pages or so.

I guess I would've enjoyed Switched a lot more if I had liked the characters. There wasn't a single character in this book that I mildly connected to. They were flat, not interesting, and though I can see why a lot of people loved this book, the story itself didn't feel appealing to me. Don't get me wrong. I didn't hate Switched. I just wasn't drawn by it. I may even read the next book in the trilogy, Torn. Who knows!

Note: This review also appears on my blog.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Switched.

04/16/2012 page 11
4.0% ""Most likely he was a damn sociopath, but for whatever reason, I found that endearing."

YOU WHAT?"
04/16/2012 page 37
12.0% ""He was stalking me, and I was only upset about it because he was doing it because he had to, not because he wanted to." MEANING, she'd rather have a sociopath in her room than a guy who actually has a reason for stalking her. This is getting better with each chapter..."
04/16/2012 page 80
26.0% ""[...] then his eyes met mine, dark and wonderful. It was at that moment that I knew I had officially fallen for him." Cute, but too Twilight-ish and abrupt. She barely spoke to Finn."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Great review. This seems to have that instant love phenomenon that I hate. At first I was interested but I don't think I'm interested anymore.

Beatriz  Lins Thanks! Yep, it does have the instant love phenomenon, unfortunately D:

message 3: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Beatriz wrote: "Thanks! Yep, it does have the instant love phenomenon, unfortunately D:"

You're welcome. I don't think I can take any more of those. :/