Jess's Reviews > Bel-Ami

Bel-Ami by Guy de Maupassant

Feb 22, 12

Read from January 14 to February 22, 2012

I didn't like this book for the same reason that I didn't like The Great Gatsby. The characters are all self-absorbed on an epic scale. Nobody even realizes what a manipulative bastard Duroy is until it's too late. But I couldn't feel sorry for any of them because to some extent, they were ALL pulling the same things he was--he was just better at it. The realization that there have always been & probably always will be people who have no qualms about who they step on to get to the top was a little depressing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bel-Ami.

02/03/2012
02/05/2012
22.0% "I can't believe what a tool this guy is."
02/08/2012
34.0% "I've spent most of this book thus far being angry & frustrated at this cast of characters who are all vapid twits with seemingly no moral compass. But then I decided to just point & laugh. I'm enjoying it much better now."
02/12/2012
38.0% "Norbert Whatshisface reminds me of Lydia Deets from Beetlejuice. Get a grip dude. Everybody dies. It sucks. But whinging on about it is just going to piss away the time one has left."
02/16/2012
60.0% "Is Georges dyslexic or something? It seems odd that he's obviously reasonably intelligent, yet can't even begin to write an article (oh, the irony, working at a newspaper). His wife must have married him because she wants to be a journalist herself, but can't because women didn't do things like that then (& can I just say how grateful I am that things have changed!)." 2 comments
02/17/2012
65.0% "I really wish I could read this in the original French, because I got to a sentence that reads "After making the appropriate salute like two robots..." This makes me wonder if the original word is something more like "automaton" since the word "robot" wasn't actually coined until 1920 in Rossum's Universal Robots."
show 2 hidden updates…