Rob's Reviews > The Three Stigmata Of Palmer Eldritch

The Three Stigmata Of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K. Dick

Jan 02, 10

bookshelves: 2010, science-fiction, cannibalism
Read from December 15, 2009 to January 02, 2010, read count: 1

I had a nearly-complete lengthy review here (complete with exegesis!) before my browser crashed. Bummer. Perhaps some day I will re-create it. However, the SHORT VERSION goes something like this:

To someone unfamiliar with the life-and-times of Philip K. Dick, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch may come off as a bit of an opportunistic, unsophisticated, and perhaps even vulgar nexus of psychedelia and Judeo-Christian ontology (esp. w/r/t/ transubstantiation). For those folks, I recommend reading Emmanuel Carrère's I Am Alive and You Are Dead: The Strange Life and Times of Philip K. Dick .

To the rest of you, my usual disclaimer vis-à-vis PKD: it gets four stars not because of the writing (q.v., the wooden characters, the purple prose) but because of the relentless and raging sea of ideas, cloyingly familiar and yet horrifyingly alien.

Lastly: was that sex scene between Mayerson and Anne Hawthorne not just the most awkward thing you've ever read? Kind of gave me the creeps, to be quite honest.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three Stigmata Of Palmer Eldritch.