Rebecca's Reviews > Wesley the Owl: The Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and His Girl

Wesley the Owl by Stacey O'Brien

Mar 04, 12

bookshelves: favourites, kindle-books, very-moving
Read from December 31, 2011 to January 01, 2012

Absoloutely amazing. That is all I can say when I think of this book.
I found it in a kindle sale and thought it sounded like a cute little book to pass the time. I did not expect it to be full of emotion, that at points made me keel over with laughter or muffle my sobs with a pillow.
The book explored the relationship and growth between the author and her lovely owl Wesley, highlighting their trust and love. I was amazed and awed by some of the things they achieved together. Between the laugh out loud moments of the owl, you delved deeper into Stacy's life at Caltech and the disasters happening around them. You learned how some people's actions and thoughts led to the collapse of many species and the loss of respect for animal's emotions. It was a very subtle message, but very powerful.
Except from a couple of phrases being repeated, the writing was of a very high standard. It captured your attention throughout and took you on a magical journey through a relationship that amazingly happened.
This book is full of trust, compassion, friendship and love. It proves the point that animals have their own personalities and thoughts, and if you let them, would give you a spiritual and invigorating life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wesley the Owl.

Quotes Rebecca Liked

“Wesley went everywhere with me from then on. I even wrapped him in baby blankets and held him in my arms while grocery shopping, to keep him warm during the first cold winter. Occasionally someone would ask to see "the baby," and when I opened the blanket, would leap back shrieking, "What is that?! A dinosaur?" Apparently, the world is full of educated adults with mortgages and stock portfolios who think people are walking around grocery stores with dinosaurs in their arms.”
Stacey O'Brien, Wesley the Owl: The Remarkable Love Story of an Owl and His Girl