Elizabeth's Reviews > The Detroit Electric Scheme

The Detroit Electric Scheme by D.E. Johnson

Jan 02, 12

bookshelves: adult-fiction, historical-fiction, mystery
Read in January, 2012

An interesting mystery that takes place in Detroit in 1910. As the fledgling auto industry begins to grow by leaps and bounds, Will Anderson, 22-year-old son of an auto tycoon, discovers a body brutally murdered in his own department at Detroit Electric. Cornered by the police, Will panics and runs and spends the next several weeks trying to find the killer and keep himself out of prison, deep in the seedy underbelly of the Motor City. I didn't like Will at first--he's a drunk and a spoiled playboy--but gradually he realizes that in order to solve the murder he has to kick his drinking habit and become a man, and by the end of the book he's more likeable. What I loved most about this book is how beautifully it described Detroit, my adopted city, and how many of the places named were familiar to me. Real historical figures make appearances, too--Will is good friends with a teenaged Edsel Ford. VOYA featured this book in its annual column about adult mysteries with YA appeal, and I definitely see the appeal as Will is a VERY young 22 and Edsel Ford only 17 and still in high school. But, with a grisly description of a crime scene, another onstage and very brutal murder and a running thread of heroin abuse, this is for older teens only and even then on a case-by-case basis.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Detroit Electric Scheme.