Katie's Reviews > On the Island

On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves

Apr 30, 2012

bookshelves: e-book, beta-hero, contemp, audio
Read from January 01 to 02, 2012 — I own a copy , read count: 2

What a pleasant surprise! I had On The Island on my radar for a while, but was finally pushed over the edge when I saw quite a few of my GR friends were really enjoying it. I have to say I totally agree. Pay attention authors! The most important thing is creating likable characters, and this is how you do it.

After a long battle with cancer, T.J's parents have decided the entire family is going to an island for a little R and R and family QT. Because of T.J's illness he had fallen behind in his school work. Instead of making him repeat his sophomore year in high school his parents have decided to bring a tutor along on their vacation to catch T.J. up in his studies. Leaving a few days later than the family so T.J. can spend one last weekend with his friends, he and his tutor Anna are lost when the pilot of their chartered plane has a heart attack and their plane goes down in the ocean near a small deserted island. T.J. and Anna survive on the island for over three years. They make due with fish, coconuts and considerable luck with the few items that washed up onto the island in Anna's suitcase.

Anna and T.J's relationship develops slowly. I was very curious when I decided to read On the Island how the author was going to pull off a relationship forming between a 16 year old boy and a 30 year old woman. Well, she didn't. By the time T.J. and Anna actually form any kind of physical relationship T.J. is almost 19. I have to say I appreciated this. That added to the fact, when you put a teenager on an island with only one other person, who happens to be a beautiful woman, and is relying on him to assist in her survival, T.J. had to grow up real fast. These factors completely eliminated the skeeviness of a woman in her 30s sleeping with a teenager. After a point, I no longer looked at T.J. as a teenager, he was a man. I loved both Anna and T.J. I cared about what was happening them. All the while reading on the edge of my seat worried what was going to happen next to them.

I give kudos to Tracey Garvis-Graves for creating such a unique and consuming story containing characters like Anna and T.J. The editing within this Indie book was also pretty close to stellar (which is quite often a huge issue with indie books). There were a few minor things but no more than you would find in a main stream published book.

The only thing within the entire book that I would've liked spelled out a bit more detailed was the bedroom door was only cracked open a bit. I usually prefer a little more steam. But this is 100% my personal preference and takes nothing away from the overall story. I am so lucky to have been able to begin my 2012 with such a great read.

***Even better the second time around. The audio is excellent as well!
47 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Island.

04/26/2012 "This just came out in audio! Lucky re-read for me:)"

Melissa Just read this yesterday...still thinking of them!

Katie Just finished my review. I was pushed over the edge into reading it because I saw you enjoyed it so much. I totally agree, it was really excellent!

Melissa Great review!

Vicki This sounds fabulous...definitely adding it to my TBR! :)

Wendy Great review Katie! Going to have to move it up on the pile.

Katie It's definitely worth it Wendy. A really unique and pleasant surprise.

Sherylb Katie, I got this because of your review...loved it!

Vicki I got this because of her review as well Sherylb, I loved it too! :)

Katie That is really nice to hear ladies thank you :)

Splage Great review! I agree the author did a beautiful job with their love story because TJ was young in mind and body and Anna an authority figure at the beginning and I could see their age difference. 3 years later there was no age difference between them. So Good!

Crista Awesome review my friend. This is a new favorite mine! Thanks for always leading me to some of the best books I've ever read:)

Katie Crista wrote: "Awesome review my friend. This is a new favorite mine! Thanks for always leading me to some of the best books I've ever read:)"

Awe, thanks Crista. Thats very nice to say. I love sharing my love of great books.

MelissaB Nice review, I need to read this!

Krystal i also had this on my list. now ill be moving this up :D

Tammy Great review! I agree with everything you said.

message 16: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars