C's Reviews > Survival in Auschwitz

U_50x66
Jan 01, 12

bookshelves: 1001
Read in September, 2011

An alternate title of this is 'If This Is A Man' which is on the '1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die' list. That makes this one of the very few non-fiction books on the list. I don't know why they'd only include a couple. I think they should limit the list to fiction, but this one is very worthy of being on it anyway.

Primo Levi was a Jewish man living in Italy that was sent to Auschwitz. He says he writes things in order of urgency, the order details need to go on the page. But Levi's way of describing things is so perfect and heartbreaking. It seems simple yet calculated, and says exactly enough. A reoccurring dream Levi had, that he found others in the camp also had, was that he would try to tell people his story, even his own sister, and no one would listen. They would walk away. Because of this dream, I can imagine him composing the words in his head while he was in the camps, which would be a good reason to survive the horrors of the Holocaust: to tell others your story and warn them of what could one day happen again. So I think this was an important book for Levi to write and also an important book for anyone to read. One of the essential books on the Holocaust.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Survival in Auschwitz.