Melindeeloo's Reviews > Night Reigns

Night Reigns by Dianne Duvall

Jan 21, 12

bookshelves: paranormal-romance-vampire, loaned
Read from January 01 to 10, 2012

Marcus has been grieving over a love that was never his to lose and flying solo, throwing himself headlong into deadly confrontations with vampires, until - against his objections - he is assigned a 'second', Ami. And when his plan to scared her off doesn't work, Marcus is reluctantly gaining respect for the deadly little human and finding that it is way more than nice to have someone who 'has his back' after keeping everyone at a distance for so long.

I really liked both of the leads, the stubborn brave little heroine, Ami, and the broody Marcus and I liked the story too - and was actually liking better than the first book Darkness Dawns - right up until the heroine's big reveal (which I knew about having read the spoilers). The 'what' of her secret was fine but the info dump to explain the 'why' was odd and klunky and not that interesting.

(view spoiler)

And I felt that it derailed the rest of the story as well, because after that point, the focus shifted from blood thirsty bad a$$ vamp villains to even badder 'men in black' villains and the book just sort of came to a fizzling conclusion.

I know that others had problems with Marcus getting over his 800 year unrequited love and falling for Amy so quickly, but you know it didn't bother me at all. I had gotten the feeling that his love in the distant past was more a romanticized idea of this unobtainable love and a young man's crush and then later, in the present time, a safe love that he didn't risk anything for, so I didn't mind that his feelings for Ami snuck up on Marcus when he wasn't looking.

Things were obviously left open for the next book, which I had me guessing - and hoping - that the next book would be about Bastien since his outcast status makes him interesting. My other choice would be the intriguing Seth, but I imagine Duvall is saving him for much later in the series. Edited to add - Yep, Bastien is up next in Phantom Shadows out October 2012.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Reigns.

01/09/2012
29.0% "I actually really like the stubborn brave little heroine, and Marcus too"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Susie I am interested in what you think of this one! Happy New Year :-)

Melindeeloo :) Happy New Year to you too!

Deana thankyouthankyouthankyou!!! :D