Alan's Reviews > Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap... and Others Don't

Good to Great by James C. Collins

Jan 09, 15

bookshelves: business-books, at-house, to-be-processed
Read in July, 2002

I first read this book soon after it was published and have kept coming back to it over the years - one of the few business books that I do this with.

My main reasons for doing this are:

- a strong research base using actual company performance. This is not a book written based on the author's understanding of a particular subject but is based on a research teams' interpretation of the long term performance of the subject companies.

- clearly written findings that provide an effective guide to actions. The principles described in this book promote a back to basics approach to running and developing a sustainable business. It doesn't hurt that a lot of the advice has been reinforced by my experiences in both business and government.

- the book is easy to read and logically organized. This is not a book that gets lost in jargon. Jim Collins writes in a manner that is easy to understand and follow, and the ideas are developed effectively as the book progresses. I've found the structure makes it easy to locate particular ideas when I'm looking for a refresher on a subject.

The one weakness may be that some of the companies that were part of the research are no longer performing as well. But then Jim Collins has that covered in a later book - see "How the Mighty Fall".

If you are interested in developing a business and you haven't read Good to Great yet, you need to.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good to Great.