Arwen's Reviews > The Queen of Attolia

The Queen of Attolia by Megan Whalen Turner

Aug 20, 08

bookshelves: five-star
Recommended for: Fantasy Lovers

I love this unusual book. It had one of the most unlikely and beautiful love stories I've ever read as well as adventure, political intrigue and war. This is a sequel to The Thief, so read that first.

The Queen of Attolia is set in the three countries of Attolia, Eddis and Sounis, loosely based on Greece. The time period is the late middle ages.

Eugenides, the hero from The Thief, is back for more adventures. Gen changes the most in this book, going from a light-hearted thief to a serious tactician who is determined to get what he wants. "Rare is the man whose gods answer him."

Although Attolia does some terrible things, I couldn't help but love this character. She is determined to protect her country and has sinned and been sinned against in the course of her reign.

The story is one of love, war and hope.

I recommend this book to all who love fantasy and historical fiction.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen of Attolia.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Levina  C. Attolia is a good woman made tough and bitter and cold by everything she's gone through. I felt kind of sorry for her, even as she was pushing Gen around...you could tell that she'd lost all her kindness after so many hard years of ruling and being alone.