Candice Hern's Reviews > Silk Is for Seduction

Silk Is for Seduction by Loretta Chase

Oct 20, 14

bookshelves: historical-romance

I have to preface this review by saying how much I despise the fashion of the 1830s. I'm a Regency girl at heart, but there are other periods of fashion that I like. But the 1830s, IMO, represents the absolute nadir of female fashion.

Having said that, I must confess that Loretta Chase has done the impossible. In this book, she made me feel as though the fashions of 1835 (the peak of 1830s hideousness) were actually beautiful. Her glorious descriptions of the dresses, the loving detail given to each bit of ribbon and lace, made me forget what they REALLY looked like. Only an exceptional writer can trick me into forgetting that!

Fashions aside, I love this book. But then, I've never read a Loretta Chase book I didn't love. SILK IS FOR SEDUCTION has everything I expect in a Loretta Chase book: strong protagonists who seriously butt heads while falling in love; dialog that not only sparkles with witty banter reminiscent of a 1930s screwball comedy, but which also sounds thoroughly genuine; powerful sexual tension; and emotional depth that touches my heart. I won't rehash the plot here, but will say that I absolutely adored the heroine, Marcelline, who was strong-willed, fearless, ambitious, supremely confident, and yet still vulnerable, especially where her daughter was concerned. She was well-matched with the hero, Clevedon, a man with every bit of alpha arrogance and sense of entitlement one would expect of a duke. It was amusing to watch him wonder what the heck was happening to him when Marcelline, and her engaging daughter, turned his life upside down.

Historical romance fans will love this book.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silk Is for Seduction.

message 1: by Nan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Nan Candice, I like your review and your fashion sense. I did not, however, like the book. The characters read like paper dolls for me.

message 2: by Elaine (new) - added it

Elaine I am a 100% Regency girl too. I love everything about it, from fashion to furniture. Although, if I could time-travel back, I would rather have wealth and good health.
I would love to try on all the clobber!