Katrina Passick Lumsden's Reviews > The One That I Want

The One That I Want by Jennifer Echols

1964146
Jan 01, 12

Read in January, 2012

Cute, predictable, light and fluffy. Ms. Echols, once again, does not disappoint in the humor department. Sadly, however, she again had a hard time delivering on the drama. It's just never real believable, and it almost always leaves a bad taste in my mouth because it usually involves a misunderstanding directly following some dialogue dissecting a misunderstanding. It's like the characters are too dumb to remember what they just talked about and it makes me a little less sympathetic toward characters that I liked up to that particular point. Which just makes the whole thing worse because it's like having the rug pulled out from under you.

I think the biggest flaw with this book is that it has a hard time deciding what it wants to be. It's one part fluffy romcom, two parts angsty drama. Our main characters are 15 and 16, so the romantic aspect is juvenile, but the drama is set up to almost be geared more toward the 17-19 set. One minute you're reading about petty jealousies between two immature "best friends", the next you're reading two sentences pointing out Gemma's daddy drama and critical self-esteem issues. Serious matters are attacked with a passing lightness bordering on irreverence, and light matters are treated with almost grave severity. It was a little disorienting.

I love you, Jennifer Echols, I truly do. Your humor and candor are rare in YA fiction. But please, for the love of everything literary, stop taking the easy way out in regards to obstacles. If you need to draw out the action a bit, making one or both characters storm off in yet another huff after refusing to listen to what the other person has to say (after they just fucking complained about misunderstandings) isn't always the way to go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The One That I Want.