Creative A's Reviews > Days of Blood & Starlight

Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor

Nov 17, 12

bookshelves: books-read-in-2012, books-that-linger, series-i-follow, favorite-ya-authors
Read in November, 2012

Okay. So. You know how the blurb says,

"Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love and dared to imagine a world free of bloodshed and war.

This is not that world."

Days Of Blood & Starlight is not that book, either. And I knew it wasn't going to be. But it was still a much tougher book to read than I'd hoped. It felt very much like the book that needed to happen as the follow up to Smoke & Bone, and I also felt like Laini managed to make these necessary situations less frustrating than they could have been. But many things were still frustrating. This is a book where Karou struggles and is shamed and digs deep to find her strength again. But watching her struggle is hard. Watching her be manipulated is hard. Watching the struggles between her and Akiva are hard. Necessary...but not easy.

There were some beautiful highlights. I was surprised at how much Zusana and Mik play a part in this story, how realistic that was. They were so much fun--and Mik! I love the way Mik and Zusana met! And the three-tasks thing? So adorbs. They were a breath of fresh air. There were others, too--(view spoiler)--I think having these additional parties and stories helped smooth the narrative in general.

People grow a lot in this book. Hazael and Liraz and Akiva grow. Karou grows. The trilogy itself takes on a whole new depth.

And in the end, I think I have to come back to my original statement. It was a necessary book, and very well done for being necessary, and I am grateful for that; but it was not at its core a particularly enjoyable book. But we were clearly working toward something. Something good. So I have my hopes for book 3, and I am glad to have read book 2.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Days of Blood & Starlight.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Melissa It's a trilogy, according to her website. http://www.lainitaylor.com/p/books.html Sorry to disappoint! (although, it can't be TOO disappointing if the other two are as good as the first)

Creative A Oh thanks, don't know how I missed that! All my wondering for nothing. Although how much of a disappointment can it be?--it's Laini! :)

message 3: by Mary Kate (new) - added it

Mary Kate I THINK Taylor once stated on her blog that the 3rd Dreamdark book didn't happen because the publisher wasn't interested. :-( I may have also read that there were 5 Dreamdark books planned. I still hope to see them – someday…

Creative A Really? Wow. I hope that's true. Who knows, maybe when Laini gets big enough, we'll get book 3. Given how big DAUGHTER OF SMOKE AND BONE has been, I feel like she's finally entering into her own.

message 5: by Jill (new) - added it

Jill Kaplan she has a deal with the publisher of Dreamdark for a third book, but she published a book with another company and they said they weren't interested in publishing it at this time. She has five books planned for the series, but the company that owns the rights isn't choosing to publish it at this time.