kingshearte's Reviews > Idoru

Jan 11, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction, sci-fi, 2012
Read from January 02 to 10, 2012 — I own a copy

I feel that Japan can't possibly be as weird as it seems to inevitably be portrayed in fiction, despite the fact that this portrayal seems to be universal, coming from both Japanese and Western writers. And yet something about Japan seems to inspire people to write very strange stories set there. Admittedly, this one is future-Japan, and future-anywhere is usually a little strange. But yeah. I don't know.

Aside from the weirdness, I'm not sure quite what to make of this. Theoretically, it's kind of book 2 in a trilogy, but it's a trilogy of stand-alones. That said, I can't help but wonder if some of the techie, virtual space stuff might have been introduced a little more in the first book. I had a general sense of it, and could usually figure out if we were in virtual land or real space, but sometimes the relevance or impact of the virtual on the real (or vice versa?) was less clear to me.

And somehow the ending felt unsatisfying. I'm not sure why, as everything was pretty much resolved, with the various connections made clear and the loose ends all tied up, but it just didn't seem like enough to me. Maybe I'll figure out later whether or not I really liked it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Idoru.