Tom's Reviews > My Man Jeeves

My Man Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse

M_50x66
Jan 06, 12

Read from January 01 to 06, 2012

Thanks to Amazon's free Kindle edition, I got to read this collection of P.G. Wodehouse short stories. It was my first exposure, and I greatly enjoyed the stories' quiet charm. The stakes are never much higher than an inconvenient house guest who won't go home, and Bertie Wooster the narrator uses a good deal of slang that, if Wikipedia is to be believed, was dated when Wodehouse wrote it. But the stories themselves are fairly clever in a comedy-of-manners kind of way. I will say, as a warning, though the book is listed as a "Jeeves and Wooster" book, and the earliest Jeeves stories are here, only half of the eight stories included are about Wooster and Jeeves. The other half feature proto-Wooster Reggie Pepper, who seems to possess a similar level of lack of intelligence as Wooster, but also lacks a Jeeves figure to do all the clever thinking that Wooster oh so desperately needs. The Reggie stories are in no way bad, but simply be aware that despite the title, not all these stories feature Jeeves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Man Jeeves.