Brittany's Reviews > Secret Society Girl

Secret Society Girl by Diana Peterfreund

Jan 02, 09

bookshelves: girly-books, fiction, college, series
Recommended to Brittany by: Myself
Recommended for: Students in High School / College / Recent Grads
Read in January, 2008, read count: 1

How I Came To Read This Book: On Black Friday 2007 I was in the ol' US of A, and, determined to make the most of our strong dollar & cheap US book prices, I bought this book and its first sequel - Under The Rose.

The Plot: Amy Haskel is a middle-ground member of Eli University's general population. She is not particularly exceptional, other than being on the lit mag, and is not expecting much as the school's annual 'Tap Week' happens to induct juniors into one of the school's many secret societies for their senior year. Imagine her surprise when it appears Amy is actually tapped for the Rose & Grave, the school's most notoriously powerful and secretive society, one that also happens to be all-male...but even if she is potentially part of the first group of female inductees into the group, bigger forces - namely the Eli alumni - might shut down the society before anyone has a chance to figure out what's going on.

The Good & The Bad: I felt like this book captured the general emotions of being a college student - often self-reaching, pretentious, and overconfident, but also vulnerable and relatable as the real world bats you down a bit. I flip-flopped between liking and getting annoyed by Amy, which is never a good thing, as her flaws do not add to her 'charm'. That being said, the Secret Society series was fresh to me, in that I rarely read books about the college years, and it wasn't really like any of the books (set before, during, or after college) I've read up to this point. The plot unfortunately is way too short, and one of the main weaknesses of the entire series is that each book covers a very short period of time while leaving BIG gaps between each story that allow for a disconnect between liking (and remembering!) the characters and the action of each book (there are 3 to date, with the fourth & final coming out in 2009 I believe). Additionally, the fact that there is a series of books somewhat indicates that the society is possibly (although not entirely) in as much danger as each book leads you to believe it may be in...the first book is almost pointless because it really just sets up the next two.

The Bottom Line: An interesting take on college life, but not an exceptional one.

Anything Memorable: This is the last book I read while on my free trip to Mexico and I remember packing for that trip, debating whether to bring the sequel (which I also already owned). Sigh I really wish I had cause I ran out of reading material by the end of the trip!

50-Book Challenge?: Book #4 in 2008
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secret Society Girl.