Felicia Velia's Reviews > Marni: My True Story of Stress, Hair-Pulling, and Other Obsessions

Marni by Marni Bates

Mar 16, 12

bookshelves: my-kindle-ebooks, memoirs, mental-illness, ya, its-about-me
Read from March 13 to 16, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

First off, I loved this story. I have read some case studies about the trich, but never an autobiography. I loved how Marni laid out the foundation showing the stress and anxiety build up to the pulling.

I hated that this book reminded me of my hair pulling days. I treated myself by always wearing my hair up and sitting on my hands when necessary. So its not much of a problem anymore. Vanity and social anxiety were my primary reasons to slow it down. People always make comments about my appearance...good, bad...they always have something to say. it puts me on edge and I hate explaining myself and trying to justify myself.

I loved Marni's descriptions of the hair pulling and the urge....dead on. The end was a prime example of how the trich urge doesn't truly get cured. You can get the behavior under control, but the urge remains.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marni.

03/15/2012 "I started so many times but got interrupted. I'll put it down until the weekend."
03/16/2012 page 159
100.0% "My heart rate and blood pressure were way up while reading this. I found this story "triggering"...I wanted to pull again."