Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)'s Reviews > Lure of Song and Magic

Lure of Song and Magic by Patricia Rice

Jan 13, 12

bookshelves: contemporary, paranormal, romance, magic
Read in January, 2012

My Rating: 4.5 stars: Loved it - enthusiastically recommend (A)

Dylan Ives is a highly successful LA producer with a heavy heart. His 4-year-old son was kidnapped a year ago, a year after his wife ran away (and subsequently died) with the boy, fearful the boy was in danger. Dylan refused to believe his son was dead, so when a he receives a mysterious text from a person called "the Librarian" that a former child star can help find his missing son, Dylan tracks her down.

Pippa James is a secluded children's author, hiding from her destructive past. At the age of twelve, she was Syrene, a singing sensation, and by age 18 she was an emotional wreck, widow, and has-been child star. She believes her Voice is evil and will cause utter despair. She thinks her Voice turned her teenage husband to drugs and his early demise. She hides in the mountains, keeping her singing and Voice safe from the outside world.

Lure of Song and Magic is a spin-off of sorts of Ms. Rice's Magic series, a historically-set romance series with a hint of magic. Lure focuses on the descendants of the original characters, but is a stand alone story and does not require any knowledge of the original series.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! Right from the start, I was under Pippa's spell; she captured me as she does the hearts and minds of friends and strangers alike. Pippa does have a gift, and with the help of years of isolation and Dylan's persistence, she learns that her Voice can be a joyful, beautiful thing.

Pippa and Dylan's love grew from an honest place. It wasn't love at first site, nor was it an "I hate you, therefore I love you" cliche. The characters are written with their hearts on their sleeves. Each alone, but not overly lonely, they slowly realize that they do not want to live without the other. The give and take we witness between Dylan and Pippa is heart-warming and frankly, touching. I fell in love with the pair as they fell in love with one another.

The story also had subtle humor throughout the book. Both Pippa and Dylan has sarcastic and snarky moments. I never found myself laughing out loud, but I did have a grin often. Here is an example... Early on in the story, Dylan pushes his way into Pippa's life and won't walk away, believing she is the key to finding his lost son. In an effort to smooth things over, he makes Pippa a smoothie:

He knew to take peel off a banana. He wasn't as certain about the lemon and orange, so he threw them into the container whole. Orange peel was supposed to be good for something.

I found myself captivated by the scenario of the book... Is Dylan's son alive? Why was he kidnapped? What is Pippa's history and who are her parents? The plot unfolds at a comfortable pace, keeping me glued to the pages, always guessing at the truth.

Ms. Rice pours her heart into this story and her characters, and this makes for a beautiful story. There were a couple of parts that were so moving, I had tears in my eyes. The story had just the right mix of emotional upheaval, romance, humor and storyline. I recommend this story to anyone in the mood for a warm, wonderful romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lure of Song and Magic.

01/02/2012
16.0% "Enjoyable story so far. Also, snarky humor. Love that!"
01/02/2012
25.0% "I am really into this story. It's captured me."
show 3 hidden updates…