Patty Jump's Reviews > It's Your Time: Finding Favour, Restoration and Abundance in Your Everyday Life. Joel Osteen

It's Your Time by Joel Osteen

Jan 07, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from January 01 to 06, 2012

Okay, okay, I admit that I was skeptical at first when a friend gave me this book. We are both practicing Catholics and have shared the same struggles in our jobs and marriages in the past year-and-a-half. What have I got to lose? (Besides a little time.) I picked up the book and read it during this first week of 2012.

Once I got past Joel Osteen's mega-watt smile and too-good-to-be-true lifestyle that he leads with his Mega-Church in Texas, I started to believe that maybe, just maybe, he is right. He can come across as preachy and saccharine sweet and corny, but his message is powerful. We all have a dream in our hearts that are telling us to believe and trust in God that He will make it happen. Being a pessimist, it's not easy to give up on my doubts and the broken record in my head that says, "This is as good as it gets," "You must live with your mistakes," "Who do you think you are?" and "You can't be serious." I am my own worst enemy.

BUT, I think that there is hope for me, and for everyone else, who wants to BELIEVE that God is working in our lives to make us better people. Osteen's main message is that we are each placed on this earth to do great things. And all of the heartbreaks and failures that we face are only making us stronger to do more. I honestly believe that there is a great plan for me, and I know what it is, but I am really scared to try.

With Osteen's true-life stories of other's, and biblical examples, 2012 is going to be different for me. I am choosing to live in faith, and not in fear.

You hear the stories everyday: The plane that lands in the Hudson River and everyone survives. A man who buys a zoo and saves the animals. A writer with the worst dog in the world named Marley who gives him something to write about. On and on. It happens.

It's going to happen for me this year. It's not too late. This book has given me courage to try.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read It's Your Time.