Karen's Reviews > The Blue Bistro

The Blue Bistro by Elin Hilderbrand

Jan 11, 12

Read from January 01 to 11, 2012

This story is mainly about Adrienne Dealey escaping from a drug addicted boyfriend who stole her life savings. She moves to Nantucket for the sole purpose of making money and paying off her debts. Her mother passed away with pancreatic cancer when she was a young girl. After that, she and her dad moved around from town to town and never really "settled" into one place. Adrienne has traveled all over the world and has worked in the hotel business. She has a history of making poor choices in men. Soon after Adrienne arrives in Nantucket she gets a job at a fine-dining restaurant where she meets Thatcher (her boss). There are many characters in the book, each with their own story, but Adrienne is the main character.

If you are interested in the restuarant business and the hustle and bustle of how one is operated, then this would be a good read for you. This book is continuously going on and on about food. It may give you the yearning to wish you were right there, just to get a sample of some of the appetizers that the chef, Fiona, whips up in her hot kitchen.

This book started out VERY slow. Only about 60% of the way through it, it began to spark my interest. However, I didn't really like the last chapter because the story ended abruptly and left the other characters hanging.

OH YEAH, I forgot to mention one thing. What really bothered me about this book is....how many restuarant owners make their employees drink on the job? Thatch was a recovering alcoholic, but yet he was always pushing Adrienne to drink while greeting customers and standing up front at the podium.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blue Bistro.

Pamela Pickering Karen, I totally agree with the last paragraph. After she was averaging 3 flutes a night you'd think he might have gotten a clue. I wondered too, though, could Adrienne just pretend to drink? It doesn't take much to carry a glass.