Bob's Reviews > Living Faith

Living Faith by Jimmy Carter

Jan 10, 2012

bookshelves: biography, christian
Read from January 01 to 10, 2012

Jimmy Carter not only served as President of the United States in the post-Watergate years but also taught a mean Sunday school class. This book, based around some of those lessons but written as a personal narrative is very helpful in understanding the contours of Jimmy Carter's faith. Two things stood out to me. One is that Jimmy Carter has had a genuine personal encounter with Christ. Two is that he is strongly convinced that it is not enough to profess faith in Christ if one does not live this out in a life of active and sacrificial service. He talks about his own journey in this regard including his life in politics, as founder of the Carter Center, and his work with Habitat for Humanity. And he speaks very personally about his own marriage and the tensions and growth he experienced over the years.

Most memorable to me is the story he told of the Rev. Otis Moss's sermon at the funeral service of Mrs. Martin Luther King, Sr, where Moss spoke of the "little dash between"--the dash that appears between the date of our birth and the date of our death on a grave marker. What a challenging image to remind us of the fleeting character of our lives and the challenge to make the most of our days.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living Faith.