Brittany's Reviews > Second Helpings

Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty

Apr 14, 09

bookshelves: girly-books, high-school, fiction, favorites, young-adult
Recommended to Brittany by: Anna M
Recommended for: Teens to Young Adults
Read in June, 2003, read count: 3

How I Came To Read This Book: My friend Anna insisted I read it.

The Plot: After a rather explosive time in Jessica's life - including the burning of her precious journals - everyone's favourite darling is back and ready to tackle senior year with more biting, raw commentary on the happenings at Pineville. The problems are just as realistic and dramatic - for a teenager - as ever in Jessica's life, ranging from boyfriends to sex to friends to family to expectations for college.

The Good or Bad: This was my fave Jessica Darling book. I reread them both before the third one came out and still stuck to this one as my fave. I felt like it was the most complete - the first one is a bit too immature, the third is too sporadic, and the fourth is too short within the timeframe of the book. Again, the books are very timely, perhaps reading them again in a few years will make the lingo/pop culture almost archaic, however that could be said of most chick lit/YA fiction. If you're going to read it, at least read a good series.

Anything Memorable?: After reading Sloppy Firsts & Second Helpings, I wrote Megan McCafferty an email and she wrote me back!

Bottom Line: Part of one of my fave book series of all time - a definite read.

50 Book Challenge?: Nope

Retro Review: In Megan McCafferty's Second Offering in the Jessica Darling sagas, we get introduced to her life as a Senior. With even more pessimistic yet realistic views of life as a suburban teenager, get ready for the rollercoaster ride of Jessica's life as she goes through new steps in boyfriends, sex-type-stuff, friends, dealing with the past, her family, and altogether your typical teenager life.
The thing I love about this book is that its SO real. The average teen book out there puts the main character in some weird crazy situation that only a small majority can relate to: ex, death of a parent, living in a trailer park, etc. etc. McCafferty isn't afraid to address the fact that hwile in the GRAND scheme of things JD's probs are probably trivial, in her life, they are her world. Which is why i think I (and many others) can relate.

If you're looking for a book where you feel at one with the characters and the plot, definately pick up Sloppy Firsts and Second Helpings for a sometimes sad, sometimes touching, sometimes downright painfully hilariously embarassing and ALWAYS real plot!!!
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Helpings.